Savannah-Upper Ogeechee Region at a Glance
Key Water Resource Issues Being Addressed by the Council
- Low dissolved oxygen levels in the Savannah River and Harbor and the sharing of a substantially reduced assimilative capacity between Georgia and South Carolina dischargers.
- Coordination with South Carolina on shared water resources in the Savannah Basin.
- Potential gaps in surface water availability in the Ogeechee Basin.
- Concerns about interbasin transfers of water out of the Savannah Basin.
- Long-term operating procedures at the USACE reservoirs and the use of adaptive management to maintain conservation pools at the highest possible levels.
- More efficient use of water in the region.