Vision and Goals: Middle Ocmulgee
"The Middle Ocmulgee Water Council will work so that our water resources, both surface and subsurface, are of exceptional quality and quantity for the well being and prosperity of all that will follow. Our plan will consider the resource’s natural integrity, wise conservation, and prudent management for continuing economic development and enhanced quality of life for all the region’s citizens."
The Middle Ocmulgee Regional Water Planning Council adopted the vision and a set of draft goals in September 2009. The draft goals were revisited and revised after the Council had a better understanding of potential future water resource issues in the region, based on resource assessments performed by EPD. In September 2010, the following goals were adopted to guide the Council with selection of management practices:
- Maximize existing water supply sources to the extent practicable.
- Support the protection of natural stream integrity and the recreation it provides.
- Promote sufficient water supply for the region.
- Promote efficient use of water.
- Promote properly managed wastewater discharges and beneficial reuse.
- Support the reduction of non-point source pollution by advocating better land management practices.
- Support planning and management of water resources to maintain a healthy economy, ensure a high quality of life, and protect our natural resources.