Middle Ocmulgee: Regional Water Plan

The Middle Ocmulgee Regional Water Plan was initially completed in 2011 and subsequently updated in 2017 and 2023. The plan outlines near-term and long-term strategies to meet water needs through 2060.

Download this pdf file. Middle Ocmulgee Regional Water Plan


The Middle Ocmulgee Region includes 12 counties in central Georgia and is forecasted to grow from 607,240 to 737,000 people by 2060. The Region’s major population centers include the cities of Convington, Macon, and Warner Robins. The Region’s leading economic sectors include agriculture, healthcare, data centers, warehouse/distribution, and film/entertainment studios. Robins Air Force Base is located in Warner Robins. Major water resources in the Region include the Flint, Ocmulgee, and Oconee River basins as well as the Crystalline rock, Cretaceous sand, and Floridan aquifers; approximately 76% of the Region lies in the Ocmulgee River basin.

2023 Middle Ocmulgee Regional Water Plan Cover

Groundwater is forecasted to meet about 69% of the region’s water supply needs, while surface water resources are expected to meet the other 31% of the forecasted needs. Municipal, industrial, and agricultural   are the dominant demand sectors for both groundwater and surface water sources. 

Water resource challenges in the Region include potential water quality issues associated with excess nutrients into Lake Jackson along with point and non-point sources discharges reducing assimilative capacity.

Management practices needed to address these challenges include improvement of non-point source management to improve water quality, expansion of water and wastewater treatment capacity, and water conservation practices.


Useful Links

Download this pdf file. 2023 Middle Ocmulgee Regional Fact Sheet