"The Savannah and Ogeechee Rivers along with the region’s groundwater resources will provide high quality and quantity water supplies for balanced growth while protecting the natural and built environments. The Savannah-Upper Ogeechee Regional Water Planning Council, through collaboration with stakeholders, will formulate river basin policies based on current and developing technologies and conservation methods. Because of the results of our Council and other councils’ efforts, Georgia will be recognized across the country as the leader in water resource management."
The Savannah-Upper Ogeechee Regional Water Planning Council adopted 7 goals reflecting the vision statement. It is important to note that the goals summarized below are not presented in order of priority, but rather were assigned a number to identify specific goals addressed as part of the water management practice selection process.
- Plan for sufficient water supplies to support planned economic development while providing residential, industrial, agricultural, recreational, and utility services in a sustainable manner. Request that the State consider and encourage future economic development in areas with adequate water resources.
- Provide support for state laws regulating interbasin transfers in Official Code of Georgia (OCGA) 12-5-584(f) and OCGA 12-5-31 and further described in EPD Rule 391-3-6-.07. Promote the development of a mandatory comprehensive evaluation process that protects donor basins from adverse impacts from proposed interbasin transfers between State Water Planning Districts.
- Work with EPD to establish ongoing relationships with South Carolina stakeholders and other Water Planning Councils to equitably address water sharing issues.
- Work to enhance the public’s understanding of regional water issues and the need for support of new policies to protect future resources.
- Identify opportunities for water reuse and conservation in the region.
- Maintain and strive to improve the quality and quantity of the water of the region to protect species and habitat while balancing the needs of humans.
- Form a permanent Savannah and Ogeechee water planning organization as the conduit for bringing together all stakeholders and assisting the State with implementation of water resource goals in the entire basin. Grandfather one- third of the current Water Planning Council on the permanent organization.