Upper Oconee Region at a Glance
Key Water Resource Issues Being Addressed by the Council
- Efficient use of the water by all sectors, recognizing the diverse characteristics of the Upper Oconee.
- Strategic wastewater management in fast growing counties (Barrow, Jackson, Oconee, and Walton Counties).
- Potential limitations placed on future surface water supplies in existing impoundments.
- Protecting the water quality of Lakes Oconee and Sinclair and the Oconee River by reducing both point and nonpoint source nutrient loads.
- The natural capacity of the water bodies to process pollutants is exceeded in the middle (Morgan and Putnam Counties) and lower (Laurens and Wilkinson Counties) portion of the basin due to zones of low dissolved oxygen.